By Geri Wolff, President, CEO, Market Works International, Inc.
In the DSE presentation entitled, “How to Find DOOH Advertising Funds in the Marketing Budget,” network operators will pick up tips on how to best generate advertising revenues in the short-term and what approaches they might wish to consider to optimize success in attracting advertising dollars. The seminar provides insight on tactics that have historically proven successful (and what has not been successful) with and without the aid of audience metrics.
As a veteran of media planning and buying and marketing, I envision a huge potential for digital place-based media to earn a significant share of the annual worldwide advertising spend. DOOH provides a unique collection of key elements that will ultimately make it a more powerful sell-through medium than television because it provides:
- Immediacy to a point of purchase product purchase
- The incredible combination of sight, sound and motion for the message
- The opportunity to tailor the message to the environment or the specific viewer
- The opportunity to finitely target an audience geographically and demographically
- An interactive component that can deliver on a call-to-action upon viewing
- A higher level of audience engagement rather than passive viewing
However, it would benefit network sales people who are working to educate advertisers and agency professionals, if they first better understood not only on what basis media purchase decisions are made, but also the historic context in which traditional media each became accepted as “main stream” components of the plan – and how media is budgeted.
Importantly, in order to translate the potential of the medium into revenue, the session will discuss:
1. The difference between marketing and advertising budgets and why those differences can help fund advertising in a new medium such as DOOH.
2. How advertisers and agency professionals make planning and buying decisions.
3. How to best leverage the strengths of DOOH when selling advertising to these audiences (with and without the aid of audience metrics).
4. Where DOOH best “fits” in the marketing mix and where the dollars can best be tapped in an advertiser’s budget to fund DOOH purchases.